Midori is back from the dead

I’ve been a Firefox user since the times of Netscape, but the lack of alternatives regarding a graphical browser are scary…
Palemoon? Let’s not even go there… you should all know why!
Basilisk? Well,… think about it! Hint, same devs as palemoon.
Chromium/Chrome? Thx, but no thanks! I can’t stand them or any of the forks…

I’ve been considering luakit as an alternative for sometime. w3m is nice as term browser, but what else??? Waterfox, Seamonkey?

Now, after more then two years of inactivity Midori has been forked and it’s back. Based on webkit2gtk (not webkitgtk2).
https://www.midori-browser.org/
It would be great if it could be built on NetBSD…

EDIT: The new version 7.0, released on Nov. 30th, it’s available on Void… the advantages of a rolling release distro :star_struck:
Will install, test and be back :sunglasses:

EDIT 2: Ok, installed and short tested (10min!!).
-It’s slick with a very uncluttered GUI, a big plus for it.
-It uses about half the amount of RAM, when compared to Firefox.
-It’s supposed to play Youtube videos, but in this short test, it complained about missing flash… it could be because I’m using musl libC and not the “standard” GlibC… or it could be because I should configure it to use html5!? …Something to dig a bit further into.
-It allows to use a built in “VPN”. Although, I did not test this feature.

Looks and feels nice. I could probably use it a bit longer and maybe even change to it on NetBSD if it would be available.

There’s otter browser also for worth mention. https://otter-browser.org/

Thx!

But,… Unfortunately, Otter is based on Opera that in it’s turn is based on Chromium. Besides it’s Qt-based…
All my systems are “Qt-free” and “Chromium-free” and I prefer/intend to keep them that way. :wink:

Never the less, I appreciate your input :hugs:

As much as I respect its spiritual Opera inheritance, I’m of the opinion QtWebEngine is the cancer of contemporary web browsers :rofl:

I’ve always been of the the opinion that Gecko >> WebKitGTK, so I use Seamonkey, better maintained on NetBSD than everywhere else, which incorporates a browser, a mail client, a RSS feed reader, a TODO list manager, a Usenet client, and a FTP client with half of Firefox 57+ code bloat.
Quantum is a killer of limited CPUs, like MIPS, ARM embedded boards and IA-32, but also my my 1,8 GHz amd64 Penryn Pentium Dual-Core; in this view, WebKitGTK is the only alternative to Gecko for a serious browser, and is a little bit more lightweight than Gecko.

Like Midori… Vimb, Luakit, Epiphany, Uzbl, Surf, and Xombrero (design by OpenBSD folks, IIRC now discontinued) are all based on WebKitGTK

Unless you need to browse a page which makes heavy use of Javascript, Netsurf (RISC OS browser, available even on Plan9 derivatives using APE ABI and AmigaOS 4) is a fantastic browser, extremely lightweight, very fast, even on things like Rpi3. My choice for browsing wikipedia

:grin: Midori 7.0 soon on pkgsrc-wip…
These guys were amazing :hugs:

Great! God bless Benny Siegert for his awesome work on MirBSD, NetBSD and pkgsrc

@pin, packaging for pkgsrc is actually easier than xbps, but often you will also need to patch against linuxisms and gnu-isms (port something to NetBSD), which, depending on target software, may require knowing a series of programming languages, most often C or python, as well as know NetBSD’s C library standard, TCP/IP stack, userland’s commands and their syntax, etc…

:sleepy: Not lua
Just kidding :smile:
I’m glad to hear it’s easier than xbps-src. Still, its hard sometimes… my first Linux install is about to be 2 years old :yum: :birthday: